Jacksonville Assault Attorney
What is Assault?
Florida Jury Instructions provide that in order to the State to prove the crime of Assault, the following three elements must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt:
- Defendant intentionally and unlawfully threatened, either by word or act, to do violence to the victim.
- At the time, the defendant appeared to have the ability to carry out the threat.
- The act of the defendant created in the mind of the victim a well-founded fear that the violence was about to take place.
Note, very importantly, that no actual physical contact is required in order to prove Assault in the state of Florida. Also, no injury is required to prove Assault.
What Florida Statute applies to the crime of Assault?
What are the maximum penalties?
- Assault is a second-degree misdemeanor punishable by up to 60 days in jail and up to $500.00 fine.
What are some possible defenses to Assault?
- False statements by the alleged victim
- Defense of Property
- No intent to threaten the alleged victim
Our Law Firm Defends Against Criminal Assault and Battery Charges
To defend yourself as vigorously against assault and battery charges, you need to work with an experienced assault crimes attorney in Jacksonville, Florida. The sooner you secure legal representation, the better your chances of avoiding the state's maximum charges. In addition, if you are wrongfully charged, your assault attorney could help you develop your defense.
Contact Our Jacksonville Criminal Defense Lawyer Today
There are many defense strategies that can be used to fight assault charges in Florida. Our Jacksonville assault attorneys will listen to your side, discuss possible strategies, and work to protect your rights and your future. No matter how serious your situation, the criminal defense lawyers at The Law Office of Kate Mesic, P.A. can help.
“I found Kate through a friend who had used her in the past. As the alleged "victim" of a criminal case, she took my requests very seriously and helped ensure I got the outcome I wanted vs. what the state wanted to happen. She understood my concerns and protected me in the court from being asked any questions. She had everything dismissed and resolved in less than a week. I am extremely happy with the outcome and will always recommend her to people.”